Friday 6 December 2013

Nelson Mandela - A true giant has passed.

I haven't blogged for a good while but feel prompted to after hearing the news about the death of Nelson Mandela. I went to South Africa to live for nine months back in 1990. I arrived in March, just a short while after the great man was released. The only time I had heard about him was when Elvis Costello and the Specials AKA released the song "Free Nelson Mandela" back in the early 80's. Little did I know of the huge impact this man would make on his nation and worldwide. The longer I spent in this amazing nation the more I realised how complex and diverse the place was with all the different tribes, nations and cultures that existed in one place. I was intoxicated by the vast array of colours, smells, idiosyncrasies of each people group and the beauty of the land. I also saw the huge amount of friction that existed not just between the blacks and whites, but between the Afikaans and English, the Xhosas and the Zulus and other groups that were dotted around the country. I saw the evil effect that Apartheid had on all non-whites and the anger that simmered below the surface of so many. I felt sick at the sound of many older Africans addressing me as 'boss' due to years and years of engrained subservience that just caused a default response to any white man. It was an incredible time and an incredible privilege to live in such a wonderfully colourful nation that was richer than any place I had ever been to. After being back in the UK for a couple of years I heard that elections would be held and Nelson Mandela would be standing for presidency. I like many others all over the world knew that it would be a foregone conclusion that he would win, but also feared that there would be one huge bloodbath. How could it be avoided? What was to become of this amazing nation? And yet one nation rose to its feet to embrace the man who had every right to bring judgment upon those that took away his freedom for so many years and who was so quick to forgive and be reconciled to them. Here is true greatness. Here is real humility. Here lies true power. Nelson Mandela was a man who was truly a great leader. He didn't do it through violence, wealth or backstabbing politics, but with grace, mercy and humility. Yes nations were praying for him and God raised him up for such a time in history, but we need to honour the man for all he was and for all he did. My prayer is - God please raise up more great leaders to take his place. Men and women who aren't in it for personal gain but for the good and freedom of others. God bless you and God bless South Africa at this time of mourning.

No comments:

Post a Comment